Tuesday 30 October 2007

Short update

Hanging out at the Dam Lobby

Wet feets in the Machine Room

It may look like there's no progress, but nothing could be more wrong. It's just that there's nothing pretty to look at. I've done some playtesting, and started to script the more difficult parts. One of them involves raising water and some puzzles to stop it from drowning the player. In the second image you can see the leak and my placeable water VFX (it looks better and more alive in the game). I have also started to add some useless details as signs and Zorkish decorations whenever I make other more important additions to the areas. It's like I just have to do some easy doll house decoration things to release the brain steam from working on more complex things.

A not so fun thing is that the toolset crashes are increasing for every megabyte the module grows. On a 4 hour development session I have between 4 and 6 crashes while saving or baking. Before a save or bake I always do a copy of the latest file so that I only loose unsaved data. Quite irritating, but it will do until next patch.

Thanks for reading, as always.

2 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

It looks like you are making progress! Can't wait to play this one. Keep up the good work.

Amraphael said...

I under-estimated the complexity and the huge amount of time this project would involve. To be honest, I choosed to do Zork I not only because I always wanted to do it but becase it would be easy to do a module without all the tricky encounter balancing. I fooled myself so much! ;) But I'm having fun all the way - and it's a long way...