Wednesday 14 November 2007

Load Screens

I've been experementing with the Load screens and have taken lots of screen shots during the tests. I though I should share some tips I've learned and two of the loadscreens to give you a clue of what feel ZORK I will have. The images may change, but for now I', satisfied with them.

Something very short about load screens:
  • Make them 1600x800 dpi
  • Convert them to TGA with DDS Converter 2 or your favorite tool.
  • Make sure to Name the file ls_your_file_name.tga
  • While developing you can put the files into your override folder (yes it works!)
  • Copy loadscreens.2da to you override (do not use the toolsets 2da editor!) and make changes to it with TlkEdit2. By looking at the file you'll know what to do.
  • When you are ready with all of your loadscreens put them and your 2da into a hak pack, put the hak pack into your hak folder and remove the files you were using from your override folder. Attach the hak to your module. Play!

Please note the Commodore 64-ish font I've used. It brings it all back to when I was just a jolly little guttersnipe...


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Magnificent loadscreens! That second one really captures the image I had in my mind. I also really appreciate your sharing of how to do this.

JasonNH

Amraphael said...

Thanks Jason! The cryptic writings behind the images. Isn't really Zorkian but it looks very much like the one in my original game map. Together with the music I've choosen it's comming togheter very nice.

Ernie Noa said...

They are great. I had load screens in Tomoachan but they look mediocre. I wasn't entirely happy with them, I think the initial screen capture was too low res.

Amraphael said...

You're too hard on yourself! I think most of them are great. My favorite was the "griffon"-scene with the two ships and the boarding plank between them.

Resolution can be a problem. I shot mine at 1280x1024, but because the frame I use there was less need to up-scale the image. Some gaussian blur can also give the impression of higher resolution. The greatest problem form me was that all of my screen shots are so dark and just brighten them looked weird. It took lots of testing before I found a acceptable balance. (But now I have a automated script to do all the filtering for me).

Ernie Noa said...

I'll have to keep those tips in mind!

Elw00d said...

I am glad to see some superstars of the boards are watching your blog Amph. As always, hoping to be eaten by a Grue soon.

oh....and if you need a beta tester I'll raise my hand in a heartbeat. (okay just because I can't wait for the release :) ) Talk about a shameless request. I disgust myself.

El

Amraphael said...

@Elw00d
Yes, it feels very, very cool to have some of the legends drop in now and then to keep an eye on my work.

About play testing: Keep an eye on this site. I'll put out an call for help, wanting about 4 people to play throgh the game in search for bugs and such. It will take a while because I want release a beta thats so finished as possible.

(I also have a very secret list of shamefull people who I know want to test it for selfish reasons)