Tuesday 1 July 2008

Cutscenes

Just a small note...

Making a invisible creature with a boat VFX attached to it travel some distance along the Frigid River isn't difficult.

Making a cutscene that allows the PC to travel across areas, interacting with the boat via conversations where you can land the boat and disembark at different landing sites along the shore and being able to deflate/inflate and launch the boat at the same shores - That's difficult (for me that is).

Yesterday night I could travel the first portion of the river and chose between continue down the river or land at the eastern shore, deflate and pick up the rubber boat, go back inflate it and embark. The cameras are placed and now it's just 80% left to do on this RiverTravel-thing :) Tomorrow I'll look into some helpful stuff Wyrin and E.C.Patterson mentioned. Ahoy!!

6 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

Sounds like you are really pulling out the stops to make this look great.

EC said...

Hope you succeed bringing the boat into port safely. ;) Don't hesitate to get in touch if you still have issues.

Amraphael said...

@Ernie
I really hope so, for this cutscene has eaten all my free time for several days now.

Amraphael said...

@E.C.Patterson
Thanks, I may do so.

It's going the right way now. At least I'm starting to get some control over what I'm doing.

EC said...

Glad to hear it's going well. Yeah, I now try to stay away from complex scripted cutscenes as much as possible. They really can eat up a lot of time and energy.

Anonymous said...

As a novice modder, I can nothing but add heat to the bonfire of making scripted NWN2 cutscenes!

They take tonnes of time and effort and the reward is short and me unable hands shoddy too! LOL

Let's just say I have fewer of these in my mod than I originally had intended.