Friday 2 November 2007

How to raise the water level - Quick'n'Dirty!

Here's how it is. Wyrin wondered about me mentioning that I could raise the water. It's a truth with modification. You can't raise the water level in the game, perhaps in the future but not yet. What you can do is to make a placeable visual effect of water raising and script it into your module. There's plenty of ways to do it but I haven't seen anyone doing it yet. It's far from perfect and you have to balance smoothness vs performance. And why would I keep this little trick for myself? No Care to Share is the way to go, so I ripped out some VFX's and scripts from the ZORK I and put it into a demo module. In this demo i go with a water level resolution of 0.15 per 2 meters. It's a bit coarse but hey, the water is raising! You will soon drown! Don't stand there and look at the slightly choppy water-line!

Download it here: http://www.kliche.com add /download/WaterTrapDemo.zip to the URL. Contact me here if there's some problem.

2 comments:

Wyrin said...

Thanks for sharing this - the effect works really well, and the sounds going with it are great.

I feel pretty humbled when i see all the custom content work going on here - and here's me feeling smug when I script a simple transition ! ;)

Ernie Noa said...

That looks great. I experimented with similar effects in my last mod. I've got a fun sand trap. The player enters a hallway and it starts filling up with sand, gradually impeding movement and ultimately killing the player if they do not escape.

The water trap looks great!