Friday 14 December 2007

Patch 1.11 & about release date

Today I decided to skip the 1.11 update and wait for patch 1.12. My wife and I are playing ENoa4's B2: KotB and having great fun. We are also playing Savant's (probably) last part of the Aielund Saga for NWN1, and our four member gaming group are playing the huge hack & slash Eye of the Beholder mod. You understand that we don't have the time to start on Mask of the Betrayer :)

When it comes to the Zork-mod I don't dare to upgrade. The 1.10 upgrade-hell almost made me give it all up and start to play golf, tennis or something even more painstakingly(?) boring.

It gives a hint about the earliest possible release date. I still don't have a clue of when the module is finished. Going from 80% to 85% took almost three weeks! The production rate per hour is damn uneven. Sometimes I just sitt 2 hours playing with the tint of a floor tile, other times I do more work in a hour than in a whole day. Don't worry, I'm having fun. But I must admit that I start to feel the pressure. It's marvelous to get lot's of PM's and mail saying that you waiting for the module and how fun it will be. Thank you all! But the same time I feel a little unsecure. Is it fun enough, is it good looking enough, have I put hundreds of hours into nothing? I know I always say it doesn't matter and thatI do this one for myself and for my gaming group, but I can't help feeling a bit nervous. :)

Today I will sit down going through everything done. List all puzzles. Make a new list of what's left do do and start playtesting again on Saturday.

One call for help!
I have asked this one on the nwn2forums but surprisingly no one has responded. Heres the problem:

Every area has a LoadScreen-field under Area properties, but on a Door or an Area Transition Trigger there's also a property-field that is labeled LoadScreen. The field-help says that if a Door (or Trigger) has a load screen assigned to it, it will Override the Area load screen. I can't make that work.

As a side effect I can't get the SetAreaTransitionBMP() work either. So I can't make a workaround.

Thank's for reading

/A

7 comments:

Nalencer said...

I could never get that option to work either. Perhaps it's just broken.

As far as your mod goes, I think it looks great. I never played Zork, but all your areas seem really well designed, and if that's any indicator of the gameplay design, I suspect it will be stellar. I'll give it a play through when it comes out, for sure.

Ryshara said...

I also have problems with the door overriding the area load screens, but I will keep an eye out to see if there is a trend.

Thanks for the advice on the cave skydome...I can't seem to perfect it the way you have. Would you be able to send me a copy of your tga file that you used, to elmeida @ yahoo.com? I want to see what I am doing wrong. You can upload the tga to divshare.com and have them send the file upon upload. I would really appreciate it and give you full credit for your help!

Ernie Noa said...

When you look at the 2DA file for the load screens does the file you want to use have a image name different than the list name. Perhaps try the image name. Just a hunch, I'm not even sure if they are different. Set SetAreaTransitionBMP() may be the same way... I'm just guessing. It's been a while and there may not even be a 2da file for this type of resource, just a guess.

Glad you are enjoying KOTB

Nalencer said...

There is a loadscreens.2da. That's a good hunch, someone should check it out.

Amraphael said...

@ladyelvenstar
Of course I send you a copy.
I'll do some more experiments and then I'll upload the zip-file for you.

Amraphael said...

@ernie noa & nalencer

The SetAreaTransitionBMP() refers to an integer that is the row number in the loadscrens.2da but you can also use a custom BMP-file by specifying the filename with extension(I think) without having to add it to the 2da.

I've tried this with the original graveyard loadscreen. But I still got random loadscreens. Perhapps it's just not working. I'll try to get the question to Obsidian. In the past they have always been very helpfull but I think they have bigger and more importand issues to deal with.

Nalencer said...

I think it's probably just broken. It's never worked for me either.