Thursday 27 March 2008

MOD-mode and Directory mode

A couple of things I've picked up on this topic (yes I'm working in directory mode now).

Working with MOD-files and directory mode is similar to working with HAK-files and override directory. The mod is a just a combined file that contains a set of files of different types. If you save the module as a directory you see all the files. Areas, Terrain, Scripts, Dialogues, etc.

When working with large modules the crash rate during save and bake increases drasticly because you need to rewrite the whole MOD-file to disk. I have see the toolset rushing up to 780Mb when saving and then go back to 360Mb. If you work in directory mode it seems that only the files that are changed gets saved, which of course minimizes the risk of corruption.

If you are unlucky and still get a crash only the file that were saved at the moment is in danger and you can easily replace it from your backuped one.

When you are finished with your work and are about to distribute the module, save it as a MOD-file.

ONE IMPORTANT THING!
When going from MOD-file to Directory Mode and vice versa DO A BACKUP and remember to backup your directory now and then too.

3 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

This is great information. Thanks for sharing it. I didn't have a good understanding of directory mode and this explanation was very helpful.

Amraphael said...

Always glad to help.

If I ever find out why my module don't launch from the toolset but from the game I let everyone know. Now that I'm getting used to launch it from the NWN2Main and I've disabled the start movies everything works as easy as before

Jclef said...

Great information here - thanks, Amraphael!