Tuesday 25 March 2008

Moving forward

Yesterday I finished the framework around one of the biggest puzzle-quests in this game. The puzzle is a four stage rocket with several opportunities to screw up - and a few to fix it again. Play-testing it was quite difficult and solving some of the pedagogical aspects of it was even trickier. I think I have solved the most of it, but when we do the next multiplayer test run in about two weeks it'll show if I was successful.

One of the fun parts to do was the safe (you may have seen the 3d model of it in an earlier post) and the scripting for the combination lock. I've made it like a ten digit dial with 5 combs, which gives you 100 000 combinations to try out :) The nifty part is that it only needs two scripts and one conversation (and the combination of course). Then we had a self--inflicted power surge and I gave up for the evening. I'll restore the crashed parts of my module tonight.

I've looked at patch 1.12 and to my disappointment my two wishes didn't come true. One was that the toolset would be more stable. In fact it seems that it don't work at all for us Europeans.
" We are aware of an issue where European customers may not be able to start the toolset."

The other one was that we should be able to change that ugly loot bag to any model we want. I really want to see what stuff that lays on the floor.
Oh yes, fixing the OnAreaTransitBMP() was on my list too. I skip this update too and hope for the lucky number (1.)13. No luck for Amraphael this time.

4 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

I modified my tileset.2da file otherwise I was fine with the patch. I wonder what caused all the trouble for European customers.

Good luck with your continued work on Zork.

Wyrin said...

yeah after the fuss with 1.11 and the fact that I'm the most stable I've ever been still on 1.10, I'm pretty loathe to change

I could defintely do with your attitude and approach to work - so many things you mention solving problems and working on complex systems, I reckon I'd have just found a cheesy fudge for!

By the way, if you;re still worried about your writing - you used the word 'pedagogical' which I'm willing to be 99% of people in the UK don;t know, so I wouldn;t worry! ;)

Amraphael said...

Thanks Ernie, I'll need it, especially when I update the toolset in the future :) The 1.06 to 1.10 was a real thriller with me running around in my pretties panic pants.

Amraphael said...

@Wyrin
The 1.10 has been great. It crashes little too often but not as the earlier versions so I wait some more. 1.15 maybe :)

I would say, working with balancing fights and planning quests and such is more complex than hacking together some scripts (even if they are useful) BTW - I had to ask my wife for help with the combination lock script. She's the best when it comes to logic and debugging.