Monday 11 August 2008

Lemon curd

Yes, it's like swimming in lemon curd - it takes me forward, but very slowly (and not as tasty). After my little side quest with the prefab area and the tutorial, I spent most of last night hunting down issues on my still growing list. Of the total 319 issues I've found since starting the tests long ago, there's only 51 left . It seems like a lot of them, but many is just like "ISSUE 316: MUS: Fix some scary music in the start area, when you enter the garden" or "ISSUE 090: VFX: Bird VFX at Forest Path is so ugly. Fix it!" and I have only a few ones that worries me.

The next mission will be to replace all animations in my conversations to be triggered by action-scripts. It was stupid of me not to do it in the first place as it's much more easy to replace for example the manipulate low animations timing by changing one script than going through all the conversation lines it may have been used in. After that I'm back to optimizing the forest areas which still are too performance heavy by night. I also might split my Maze, Coal Mine and Round Room areas. They are also pretty heavy. I just can't decicde. Is it better with fewer larger areas that are slow to load or a couple more but faster loading.

I also made a couple of needed placeable models. Nothing to complicated. A machine for the Machine Room, a placeable wooden crawlway to place on the floow/ceiling where a ladder goes up/down and some iron pipes for the Maintenance Room. I throw in a couple of in game screen shots for you to look at.

The summer in Sweden is going toward it's end. It's both nice and sad. I love the autumn escpecially when it's a dry and cold one. And I had my longest vacation since I was a little snotling. Next week it's back to work, and I'm not too excited about the idea :)

Thanks for reading
/A

In one corner there is a machine which is reminiscent of a clothes dryer.
Examine a coal gas pipe with while holding a candle. Intelligence -3

Strange view, but there is a hole in the ceiling.



7 comments:

Jclef said...

Awesome work here, Amraphael - the screenshots are always full of detail and enticement!

That's a hefty list of buggies too - good luck!

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Amraphael,

There you go again with another great placeable. ;)

I really do love the way you add these objects! It makes the 'world' unique and that is what I hope to achieve one day. :)

Great shots ... again. :)

By the way, I have nearly read all your blog now and almost up to date. One caught my attention: The water trap. I tred to get to the link, but it did not work when I added the extra bit. Of course, it may just be out of date now, but I was interested in what you had done for that. :)

I can always wait and take a look at the mod when it comes out though. It's the things I can't learn from looking at a mod that frustrate me more. ;)

*Casts 'accelerate time' on release date clock*

Lance.

P.S. I think your Grue got into my computer yesterday, as I had some real problems with the OS until only a few minutes ago, when I finally found the problem.

Wyrin said...

i do like the lighting you use in you cavern shots

hot lemon curd with ice cream....mmmmm

Amraphael said...

@jclef,
Thank you sir!
Nah, 51 bugs isn't so much - if the list didn't keep growing all the time :)

@Lance,
the WaterTrapDemo.zip is up again. I removed it from my music site because I needed some space and didn't think anyone would miss it :) I know Indira Lightfoot have been playing with it and she might have some new experiences.

@Wyrin,
with ice cream - of course! I think my screen shots look a bit too yellowish. They don't look that in the game though.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Hi Amraphael,

I now have the water trap demo. :)

Thanks for that.

I am having some difficulties with my PC at the moment and so may not have the chance to ake a look until I have the thing sorted. :(

Lance.

Frank Perez said...

Nice clothes dryer you have there. Being able to make custom content is a definite advantage for any module builder. :)

Indira Lightfoot said...

Wonderful screenies, Amraphael! :)

The more screenshots I see from your Zork module, the more sure I am that this will truly be a unique and outstanding module! There is a professional touch to it, and that in every detail. I just envy how you're able to go that extra mile for achieving this 'perfection' and polish!

Kudos, Amraphel for this gargantuan effort! :D