Friday 26 September 2008

Too few posts lately

Hello friends!

I just want to tell you that Zork is still in progress, even if very slow. The lack of posts I all about CMHP. My small contribution is... small, so I don't want to reveal too much to you spoiling the whole (small) thing.

As anyone can guess this lovely project has taken some time away from working with Zork and the release date will be pushed forward. I can't tell by how much yet. What I can tell is that it will include a few custom placeables of which one is an animated placeable trapdoor (I'm surprised that there isn't one included in the game). I know it's not so special, but it's a very usefull placeable,
I've incorperated some battle action into my area too, even if I didn't really had the time to do it. It's balanced for a level 5 character and can be skipped for any non-action interested player.

So by the end of this week (hopefully) I've promised to pack it together and hand it over. There's a few animations that doesn't work correct but I might let it go if I don't find a way to solve thed problem.

Some conclusions...
I'm not made for building a large standard DnD-like module. I'm too pecky about the details. While playing MotB I've been noticing (whole the time) how the developers have been cutting corners to get things working fast. Stereotypic interiors, NPCs that don't behave correct when interacted with. Illogical conversation alternatives and so on. I'm not about to tell you that's bad. In fact I like MotB very much and it's okay to simplify things to get them work good enough. But I'm not like that. I would love to be, but I'm not. My strenght lies in the details, the scripting and in having visons. When it comes to keeping a deadline or conversations and not to forget. Combat balancing I'm worthless :) I suppose I could learn some of it but I would be too detail focused to let an encounter not be as treathfull to a rouge as a barbarian (in different ways of course).

That is what the Halloween Project has learned me :) But it was sooo fun! What does this mean to Amraphael and module creating?
  1. I'll release Zork as soon as possible.
  2. I'll stick to Neverwinter Nights 2 as a player
  3. I'll have a pause. Writing a childrens book that has to be written.
  4. I'll release my bands best of 20-years album
  5. I'll release my bands next album and singles (we'll screw our record company this time and release it for free at all legal and non-legal sources. Heck, we'll even pay for it)
  6. I'll get back to the Toolset buildning a module that fits my skills.
  7. Helping other builders is fun and I try to do it more often.
Thanks for reading, as always!
/Amraphael

[EDIT: Wow, look at my English! It really shows that I'm unfocused and sleepy]

8 comments:

Wyrin said...

looking forward to your trapdoor - i've fudged this with sunken chests, but would be good to have something proper!

i do understand where your soming from with the comments on building. been having some simlilar internal thoughts myself...

EC said...

Looking forward to the trap door too! That will likely make it into Trinity.

You already know I`m using the bats. What I've done this week is use the bat 3d texture and make a Carthesian PFX with a huge spawn radius and low spawn rate to simulate birds flying across the sky. Looks really good. Maybe a "bird" 3d texture would be even better.

Anyhow, if you feel like doing such a texture, I could use it for this VFX and then I could send the complete package back to you so you could add it to your circling birds VFX if you feel it's worth it. Just a thought.

Regarding details, I'd say I'm pretty much like that too. Sure slows down the process. But then I tell myself, there is no REAL urgency to get the mod out. So as long as fussing over the detail is still fun for me, why not.

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Trap door - Make that three people interested. ;)

I also struggle between keeping details or doing generic like stuff. Detailed content is more unique, but, unfortunately, you get very little done. :(

I think Zork will shine with its detailed content though. :)

Jclef said...

Dear Amraphael,

I've suppressed it long enough, but I can't take it any longer!! I must know the name of your band - Aaah!

So I can buy your Best Of album :)

Your pal,
Jclef

Amraphael said...

Thanks guys!
The trapdoor works fine even if it's not a door object (maybe I convert it to one later). I think it's easier to tinker with scripting on a placeable. I this particular module I place a Collision box on-top of the trapdoor and put the scripting on that instead. That way the trapdoor is a bit secret because it doesn't have the blue highlight when pressing Z.

@e.c.patterson
That's a good idea. If I get some extra time I'll look into it.

@jclef
It's on your own risk :)
"Real" electronic pop music is a very narrow genre as we all know.
I browsed around a bit and found a pretty accurate discography here:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kliche

Jclef said...

Awesomeness - I'm going to pick up "Planet Confusion", cuz I hear that! ;)

Yay - thanks for the info, Ampraphael!

Aiden said...

Hi, funnily enough, I've only just discovered Zork having grabbed the new version of the C=64 emulator (CCS64). I'm playing Zork right now, what a great little game. I came across ur blog and it's good to see people staying in touch with these classic titles. You know, I love ultra-graphics in games. But once you overcome the initial shock of a text engine, it's actually really enthralling. I'd love to see Zork for NWN2. Great work.

Amraphael said...

@jclef
Give me a shout if you want to "borrow" the mp3-version.

@aiden,
You're not alone :) There's lots of people out there still playing the Zork-series. Some of them are new to it and others do it as a nostalgia trip back to when the most expensive part of a computer wasn't the 3d graphics card.
I think I've said it several times. Zork isn't the top of the line when it comes to Interactive Fiction Games, but it has something else that one has describe as a soul or something.
Glad you found your way here.