Friday 7 November 2008

Turned based combat. Sneak peak.

I got a little help downloading my workfolder to my laptop yesterday (see earlier post) so I could work a bit on the module while waiting at the airport. My basic script seem to work fine and I can start to implement all the combat text strings needed for each fight and the animations and sound. I also tested my idea on how to get scripted peusdo-control over the Camera Shot Type and it works okay. In this screen shot you can see the PC's attack string in cyan and the trolls response in red. The yellow text is debug info that will be hidden for the player.

If somebody wonders about the debug info in the screenshot:
  • Chance is the chance to hit the opponent.
  • CResult is the Combat result (0 is for a complete miss)
  • Damage is the Damage dealed to the opponent
  • PCHp is the PC's hit points
  • HostHP is the hostiles hitpoints
Now it's food time. I need it!

4 comments:

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

This looks like fun! :)

Sometimes I think back with fondness to straight forward combat without 8 trillion variables to contend with nowadays. ;)

Another interesting aspect to your module to be sure (in my opinion). :)

Lance.

Wyrin said...

i'll be keen to see how this turns out... the camera control sounds interesting..?

Jazhara7 said...

Ah, yes, the classic troll encounter at the start, isn't it? I remember it took me while to figure out the correct way to phrase my command so that I could stab the troll. Because "Use sword on Troll" doesn't work. :P

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Amraphael said...

@lance botelle
It's a very simple solution that catches the original feel. Even if the freedom and choices are as limited as in the text game I sometimes get that "Ouch, he got me there. Hope I have one HP left!"-feeling. The many lines of descriptive text gives it quite a amusing flavor too.

@Wyrin,
The cam control is as simple as different branches of conversation lines. Because of that the conversation is almost completely token-based the conversation can be reused and kept simple. The whole fight system is just about 10 entries, where the most of them are used to select different camera modes.

I may ditch the idea of different camera modes though as I've been found of the top down cam.

@jazhara7,
Oh yes, it's the nasty troll encounter just a few moves away from the cellar. "kill troll with sword" and "again" and "again" and "again" "The troll's axe stroke cleaves you from the nave to the chops." :)