Wednesday 18 February 2009

Packing the beta build

Today I've been putting the last of the tester's documentation together. All necessary area maps are there, the what-if?, the how-do-I?, the game mechanics and of course a walk through. Then I've been scripting the install package and making the hak-pack. I use an excellent tool called Inno Setup. It's easy to use, reliable and safe. I know that a bunch of you out there don't like setup.exe's but. I think it's a great way to distribute things for the masses. And it's very helpful for uninstalling stuff too. I know the arguments. But everyone should have a good anti-virus/anti-spyware tool or deserve some evil bug storm brought upon them. For the control freaks I'll provide a zipped version too :)

It's getting closer day by day...

And a little screen shot. It's maybe hard to see but it's the hieroglyph-floor of the Eyptian Room I wrote about last post.

8 comments:

Jclef said...

Fantastic - yeah, setup.exe's are always helpful when there are a lot of files involved. For the many years I've been playing, I have yet to be infected by a NWN(2) module installer.

Can't wait for ZORK!!!

PJH said...

This is Zorktastic!

Ree said...

Excellent! looking forward to this for sure. Installer is a good call

EC said...

Exciting stuff! Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

"asks stupid question"

Is that wall art or windows in the screen shot? "goes off and laughs at self for not knowing"

BTW Installer exe for the win!

Amraphael said...

Thanks for the support. It feels great to get some feedback as the last 1.5% are painful.

Yay! Installer rules. I think I'll write a short post about doing them.

@Liso
hehe, I don't know really.
We can pretend that it's some kind of exhibition roll-up banners that shows different kind of symbols written on papyrus. Or maybe just some visual effects to give the room an Egyptian mood. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I will pretend it is an elaborate stained glass, and very nifty! :)

Lance Botelle (Bard of Althéa) said...

Thanks for the link to the installer ... I will consider uploading a version of my own module with an installer option. Personally, I prefer *not* to use the installer, but I agree that there are many who find that useful. :)

Lance.