Sunday 12 August 2007

A cloud of bats

For a while I have wondered how to make particle visual effect based on animated images. You have maybe seen my "Flock of Birds"-VFX and even if it looks real enough the bird images are infact only still images on which I distort proportions to make them look like they move their wings and swirl through the air. A whole different thing are bats. Bats move their wings very much and for my "Cloud of Bats"-VFX still images isn't good enough. I haven't found any information on how to make dds-files animate. For one there's nothing such animated tga or dds like in the animated gif way. So after asking, searching and testing without any luck I decided to learn about the file format and take apart Obsidians 3D files. And now I understand. They use volume textures and build up an array of for example 4x64x64 side by side image slices. Then the VFX-engine steps through them. Finding a tool to make them wasn't easy...

So here's my first version of the bats. The movie on YouTube isn't very high resolution but you can also download a slightly larger version here. Of course I'll upload it on the Vault for anyone who wants to have it in their own work or just see how they where made.


7 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

Looks pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed ! Definitely looking forward to playing your mod.

Berliad said...

I love how aggressive (not to mention capable) you are in terms of sitting down and creating your own custom content. Our community needs more folks like you. :)

Thanks also for continuing to release stuff like this to the Vault as you go--I'm sure that a lot of other builders will love using it! -B

Amraphael said...

Hi Ernie:
Without bragging it do look really cool in the game! I've made a smaller version so when a player enter a trigger the bats come storming up a shaft and disappers up through the roof.

I'm a little bit sorry that I couldn't capture the great details in the video but I'll make an easy to install package if you or somebody else want to take a closer look.

Elf des coquillages:
Thank you very much!

Thanks Berliad:
"What really flatters a man is that you think him worth flattering".

Well, I think creating this stuff is a great way to relax from my daytime work. It keeps the brain warm and is a lot more fun than Sudoku. The only thing is that my gaming time with my wife and friends suffer a bit of it (but not much).

Ernie Noa said...

I don't doubt it took a tremendous amount of work to get it put together. I don't have the time or patience to even attempt it. I am truly impressed with your capabilities. Berliad put it best in his post above, the community needs more people like you.

Mr. Darke said...

Ravenloft here I come! Can't wait to see it on the Vault - very thankful for this kind of development work - keep it up!!!

Amraphael said...

Thanks mr. darke! I'll upload it in a couple of days. BTW someone really should do a Raveloft module for NWN2. Vampire Hack'n Slash rocks!