Saturday 11 August 2007

Granny is here!

"You se the dusty cover of a closed trap door.""The trap door reluctantly opens to reveal a rickety staircase descending into darkness."

This saturday morning I woke up early to make my wife breakfast before she went to work. As usual I had my laptop beside me at one side, reading the local newspaper and the coffe maker and the sandwiches I was making at the other side. Then I saw it! The 3dsMax Expotron Plugin (also known as Granny) is here! "Hurry to work!" I said to my wife and fast as ZORK , I'd downloaded it and started to experiment. Ok, it has some flaws but it's so cool and I'm sure we'll se some real custom content in a couple of weeks besides my own simple tweaks.

The screenie above show my first animation - the trap door! It's not as beautiful as I would like because I haven't the complete knowledge about normal mapping and problably not the skills either. But it works!

I promised myself not to loose myself into this tool before I can play through the module without any show-stoppers. Otherwise I won't get any job done at all.

And something about the development status. Yesterday I did a play test collecting all plot-items, double checking that the game score and the "experienceio-meter" was correctly calculated and against all odds it was working perfectly. I found some bugs in a couple of triggers which could be triggered two times. Next I'll make a go for the remaining areas. I really wanted to use the fablous RWS Deep Halls-tilset by Patrick Robinson (Hellfire) and Eric Rosendahl (Baron) for the underground temple area but unfortunately NWN2 doesn't yet support full include of tilesets into HAK PAK's, which is I think is very important to make distribution of many different modules and PW's work in a practical way. I hope we can do some lobbying for it.
Great start of the day!

1 comment:

craftypainter said...

I really like your trapdoor! I have been looking for something like that for my modules. Will you be making more with other textures?

And will you post this as a placeable or something at nwnvault? i.e where can I download this!!?