Thursday 9 August 2007

Patch 1.06 and the toolset

Yesterday I dared to do the upgrade from 1.05 to 1.06. It was some quite exciting and nervous moments when i started to toolset and loaded my module (after making two separate backups far away from the NWN2-folders)...

"Toolset has encountered a problem..."

I tried three times without luck so I tried to open the "Dark Waters" module. No problem. A few minutes of complete and mercyless fear later I restored my ZORK I-backup and the module loaded just fine.

It's kind of late to do a 1.06 review but my impression of it so far is:
  • Not so stabile as 1.05 but much better than 1.03 and 1.04.
  • I can't get the new pressure control tool working (maybe because of my non-US operating systems keyboard handling).
  • Placed effects don't always show up in the toolset so I have to save and reload a lot.
  • The Visual Effects Editor hangs, and more irritating, don't refresh the screen sometimes. I've wasted much time on looking for problems that never existed in my PFX's.
  • When using undo/redo the painted water vanish. Very frustrating until I learned not to use undo in exterial areas.
  • The type-ahead in script drop down menues is very, very, very slow now.
But what's good in the 1.06 patch? To be honest I can't think of anything other than it didn't destroy my module, the OC works fine and it's the next step towards 1.1 (which in my dream world is like the NWN1 1.31 patch). Oh, yes, one thing the OnClick -event on placeables! I don't complain. Everything works good enough to make my work going and I've been reading about 1.07 and it's not very far away.

Tonight I'll make all OnItemAcquired scripts for the treasure items, there's just 19 of them so it wouldn't take long.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Ernie Noa said...

The undo redo feature in the terrain editor is very helpful in 1.0.6 but it sounds like you are using some things, particularly the fx editor that I don't have to worry about. Good luck, glad you didn't loose any work.

Unknown said...

A couple of new things I liked about 1.6:

+ Pressure for flatten tool.

+ Animation plugin, which is very helpful for conversations and waypoint behavior.

I haven't noticed the increased instability that you seem to be having. Good luck with it, things are looking fantastic so far.

JasonNH

Amraphael said...

I'm kind of a whiner in many ways so I have to say it's just tiny problems . I remember when I opened the NWN1-box and started the 1.0x toolset many years ago. Blue screen almost the whole time and nobody to ask for help. This is a whole different thing. A little bit irritating but with plenty of backups and some patience the toolset is just great!

I have to get the pressure tool working, will try to install a US-keybord to see if it helps.

Ernie Noa said...

It would be nice if the toolset were completely 100% stable, but that's not the case. I think it's fine to 'vent'.