Wednesday 20 February 2008

129 Megabytes of joy!

Pooh, today I finished (everything grass and triggers) the last above ground area. The big forest I had before has been splitted into seven separate areas. I've made the house area and at last the canyon area. It makes nine areas instead of two :)

I'll give you mod builders a tip: When working with terrain and texturing in a large module - start a new one. It's faster to load when testing it out, it saves faster and it doesn't crash as often. I have only encountered 12 crashes when working with the areas above. It's less than one crash per day!!! When you are satisfied enough with your work. Export it to an erf. And import it to your module. And that's what I'm about to do now. I'll post you some screen shots tomorrow.

/A

3 comments:

Jclef said...

Great idea, especially if you're working on a low-end PC.

Wish I had thought of this 2 months ago! ;)

Amraphael said...

Well, it's a good idea even if you got a super power turbo PC. The toolset eats all memory it can chew and don't always return it to you when it's done with an area. Today I noticed it was up in 622 MB! I got pretty nervous while saving the module.

Wyrin said...

Yeah I did that with an area I started last night - also makes it simpler and less risky to launch the game from the toolset if the area is the only thing in the mod.