Monday 18 February 2008

Safe

No big news today so I thought I'd share this image with you. Doing custom placeables doesn't have to be hard or advanced. This little safe is only 232 polygons (which probably is overkill) and still looks good in the game and it really does its job. It's a container and I didn't bother with animating a door. I could and maybe I do it if anyone else would like me to, but for this game this lump of metal will do. Even the texturing is done the cheapo way with a very small 8 bit 128x128 bitmap. With the free gmax 3D-tool and the also free Paint.Net and some of the many tutorials on the net you can within an hour make a such model on your own.

Try it, it's fun! I promise.

5 comments:

Briesence said...

Why do I get the feeling that this post contains subliminal messages that say "Make me a cyclops model Briesence."? O.O

Amraphael said...

You got me there, Briesence! :D

Actualy I would love to see more people around, making the models they need and very soon we'll have material to make a CEP-like thing for NWN2.

Jclef said...

I fiddled with GMAX awhile back and got a giant book on it. I should revisit the software...

The safe looks cool, man - You've got a lot of tools in your modding arsenal!

Amraphael said...

Thanks jclef. I'm sort of a tool-o-holic both when it comes to computers and mechanical wood chopping stuff kind of tools. Well, I collect studio equipment tools in another pile too :)

gmax is great for simple things. Anything more complicated needs 3ds Max. Lucky for me I have access to it through my work.

Ernie Noa said...

Paint.net rocks. What a great tool.