Tuesday 16 December 2008

A milestone! First complete play through.

Today I was able to play Zork - Rediscovering the Great Underground Empire, from the start to the end. The play to about two hours and was not completely free from troubles. It's a milestone though and I'm quite satisfied with it. My list over issues found during this test was only 27 entries long. The most irritating and troublesome is:
  • I ended up with 355 points when 350 should be maximum! This bug will take some tiresome work to hunt down
  • My functions to fix the CopyItem bug (the one that turns of torches and such) seem to be bugged sometimes leaving VFX's on the PC. It looks silly to hold both a lantern and a torch at the same time :) Worse is that this seem to make the game crash cutscene are transitions
  • Lot of uglies in my Thief-routines. He stays put when he should leave, he waits for conversation to begin when he should not, he shows up in areas where he should not and the appear and disappear animations looks strange
  • The digging animations looks great on male PC's but female PC's hold their shovel the wrong way. The digging animations loops long after exiting the conversation with the shovel
  • A few doors which are locked from "both" sides (in transitions) do not unlock correctly which keeps the PC stuck on the other side not being able to walk back through them.
  • Some NPC's don't lay down when struck uncoincious and the keeps fighting even after the PC has killed them. I have to find a better way to exit conversations on death
  • On one occasion a torch disappered from the inventory when I unequippped it. This scares me as I have no clue about what happened
Other than that it's only polishing left to do. Lots of speak trigger should be placed and I have to plunge into the start and end scenes. If I only had two weeks off from everything.

Thanks for reading!
/A


Oh yes, I forgot. Yesterday was our Goblin Bandits of the Delimbiyr Route evening. Me, a friend and my wife is playing this module togheter. Next monday we'll finish it and I must say we had some really fun moments. Here's two screenshots from the session, where we are giving a poor goblin warrior a hard time (well they were about 20 when we started our bash feast):

5 comments:

AmstradHero said...

Congratulations, Amraphael!

Sounds like Zork is definitely coming close!

It will definitely be a treat to see a classic brought to life in the NWN2 engine!

Anonymous said...

It looks very nice. Well done, sir!


~Elrahc

Wyrin said...

Great news on the full playthrough! But yeah, I can imagine that points bug is going to be a real PITA to pin down!

Jclef said...

Awesome news, Amraphael! :D

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to hear of the progress Amraphael! I've been looking forward to this ever since I found your blog!

Good luck with the bugs. I'm sure you will show them who is boss! hehe

Liso